27 September 2010

Recent thoughts on money...

Wesley and I talked about money about a week and half ago.  Since we've recently moved in together it was a go over expenses kind of talk, figuring out who is paying how much.  Turns out I was paying more than him, and probably a lot more once he ditches his smartphone and our cell bill gets lowered.  So we shuffled a few things around.  He'll be helping with some pooch expenses and taking care of our Netflix subscription.  I also suspect I'm going to start asking him for cash each month to help with the groceries.  Not a ton, but maybe an extra $20 to even things out a bit. We'll review things again once we get our electricity bill.  And likely again when we get new phones mid-October. 

Also, I've been pondering the whole travel thing as of late.  I love to travel, but as it sits now I don't have money for travel fit into my budget.  I've been thinking I should start putting away money every check to save in a travel fund.  The only problem I have with this is that it is hard for me to save money while I have debt.  I feel like that while I owe money all my money should go to eliminating my debt.  But if I don't save money to travel, either I won't travel or I'll just stick it all on my credit card and pay a higher interest rate when I don't get it paid back A.S.A.P.  I think I've convinced myself with that last sentence.  If I put money on my credit card and don't pay it off right away, I'm charged a 13% interest rate.  Whereas my current debts are at a 0% or a 6.8% interest rate so it makes way more sense to save the money and the higher interest rate!

I'll be starting an automatic deposit into my savings for $30 each paycheck I think.  Hopefully I'll be able to up that when I get my raise in December. 

No comments:

Post a Comment