08 September 2010

Oh the Vet Bills!

Yesterday I had to take the pooch into the vet.  I have the cheapest vet (and best IMHO) around yet it was still the highest vet bill I've ever had!  I wound up spending $193!  193!  I was budgeting about 125 for her 3 yr shots and her heart-worm medicine for the year.  What happened?  Well to start, apparently she also needs a new heart-worm test every 2 years, even if she's on the medicine year round.  Then she has been rubbing her butt on the carpet for a while which means she needs her glands expressed (if you don't know what this is- google it but be prepared for the answer) which I wanted done ASAP.  During her checkup, it also became apparent that I needed to clean her ears every week (I had no idea!) and so I had to tack on ear cleaning solution to the bill.  And finally, she had chewed up a patch of fur on her hind quarters which I guess required antibiotics to heal properly.  And hence- $193.  Sigh. 

On top of all this, the vet also informed me that she would need to come in for a dental exam/surgery to get her teeth cleaned and possibly pulled. Which starts at $150 if she doesn't have to have any teeth pulled.  I wound up scheduling this for next Tuesday. 

And on top of that, I just shelled out $184 on flea medicine for the year and some dog food and another $250 just a week and a half ago for the pet deposit.  Pets can be really expensive!

And now a question for you dear readers- if there are any of you.  :)  When the month has started and you have an unexpected expense like this teeth cleaning, do you adjust your budget numbers or just put it all in the actual column and consider it going over? 

Either way, I won't be throwing as much money at the credit card as I would have liked to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment