22 December 2010

The problem of the Air Purifier

Wesley has bad allergies.  He is also allergic to our pooch, but he just deals with the allergies because he loves dogs so much.  To combat these problems (and because the pooch also has some nasty allergies) we have an air purifier in the house that seems to really help and I chose a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to also help.  A problem arose a week ago when Wesley had some friends over and one of them informed him that the Sharper Image Ionic Breeze that he's had for YEARS actually releases stuff into the air that is not so good for you.  Wesley did some quick googling, discovered it produces ozone which can damage your lungs and now the Ionic Breeze has been unplugged and discarded in a corner.

Now we pretty much need an air purifer for Wesley and the pooch to be comfortable in the house and Wesley makes a lot less money than I do which leaves me to be the one to replace the air purifier.  So I did what any good librarian would do and I researched it.  I picked up September issue of consumer reports which reviewed air purifiers and decided to buy their top rated one. Unfortunately, top rated does not come cheap (although farther down the list were purifiers at more than 2x the price) and I just placed an order for the Whirlpool® Whispure 315-CADR Air Purifier from Amazon, which costs $285.  

Sigh.  Another big expense.  At least I can take solace in the fact that I know I'm getting good value for my money!

No comments:

Post a Comment