08 November 2010

My Battle With Anxiety

I've known for a while I have more problems with anxiety than is normal.  I spend an unordinate amount of timing stressing about things like school, money, and the safety of my family.  I'll leave the house for work in the morning and 5 minutes down the road worry that I left the stove on and the house is going to burn down and the fire department won't be able to save my dog.  When it gets to that point I almost always wind up turning around and driving home to check.  No matter how much I tell myself I'm being ridiculous, it just doesn't seem to make a difference. 

In with this anxiety is a fear of medication.  I rarely take medication or see a doctor when there is something wrong with me.  I'll just tough it out.  I've gotten to the point in recent years where I'm willing to deal with a few select medications, but most still terrify me.  It was a big step for me to go to a psychaitrist back in August and ask to be put on something to resolve my anxiety problems.  I had been thinking about medication for at least 8 months before that and had made another attempt at therapy in April, which only resulted in higher levels of anxiety. 

Talking to the psychaitrist resulted in a preliminary diagnosis of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder.  But she also wanted me to get bloodwork done to make sure that it wasn't my thyroid causing my anxiety problems.  After many months of doctor visits and blood work (insurance switching, doctor switching, etc, etc) I finally have a prescription for Celexa and I couldn't be happier.  It has literally changed my life.  I feel normal, happy, and I don't spend 90% of my day worrying about anything and everything. 

Granted I'm no doctor, but if you are out there and having problems with anxiety talk to your doctor, therapist, or psychaitrist and find out what the right solution is for you.  It's worth it!  Don't keep suffering!

No comments:

Post a Comment